This December 21 — National Short Girl Appreciation Day — don’t come up short on ways to celebrate the small ladies in your life! If you’re a short girl yourself, you know the genetic lottery you’ve won — they always make cute shoes in smaller sizes, your feet will never hang off the bed, and there are even health benefits associated with being a little vertically challenged. Go shorty, and it’s your holiday!
History of National Short Girl Appreciation Day
When the cups are on the tallest shelf of the most elevated cabinet, it’s not always fun to be short. But how great it is that you’re always at the top of the human pyramid? And when have you ever hit your head on a door frame? National Short Girl Appreciation Day was started to celebrate the more petite ladies in our lives and maybe help them grab that out-of-reach item. However, being a “short girl” has meant different things throughout the years and places!
Tiny doorways in the 1700s proved that while a 5’2” woman might be short today, they would have been entirely average in a different time! Intermediaries between the 12th and 16th centuries would be considered rude by today’s standards. These days, the average female height is 5’4”. Though buildings, roads, and cities are only getting more prominent worldwide, short women are keeping up!
Today, women were taller on average than our ancestors, even just 100 years ago. Still, women in Indonesia, Bolivia, and the Philippines are on the shorter end of the global average, hovering around just 5 feet! This proves that “short” totally depends on where you are.
Short women make a huge impact. Emilia Clarke (Mother of Dragons!) stands only 5’2”, as does makeup and reality TV mogul Kim Kardashian. Lady Gaga checks in at 5’1”, and superstar Olympic gymnast Simone Biles is only 4’8”. These ladies prove that being short does not stunt your success, whether onstage, on the Olympic podium, or anywhere else.
National Short Girl Appreciation Day Timeline
Shortest on Earth
The world record holder for the shortest woman alive is Jyoti Amge of India, who, at 18 years old, is just two feet tall.
Not Short on Appeal
A study on a dating website found that shorter women receive more messages from men than their taller counterparts.
Being short can save your hips
At just 4’6”, Tatiana Gutsu of Romania became the most diminutive Olympic gold medal gymnast in 1992.
800 – 1000 CE
Middle Ages, Short Stature
Researchers have determined that the average female height during the Middle Ages was no more than 5’2”.
National Short Girl Appreciation Day Faqs
What height can be considered “short” for a woman?
Since 5’4” is the national average height for women, anything beneath this could be considered short! That said, “tall” is regarded as 5’8” and above, so anything under that might be considered rude by some.
Where can I find some short girl merch?
Redbubble is always great for finding stickers, tees, pins, and prints that show off your love of your height!
Where is National Short Girl Day observed?
National Short Girl Appreciation Day is an American national holiday observed annually on December 21.
National Short Girl Appreciation Day Activities
- Take to social media!
- Post that picture of you with a basketball player, and cherish your height! #shortgirlproblems. Send an article like ours to another short friend – this is SO us!
- Check out your favorite short girl artists
- Dolly Parton, Anna Kendrick, and Shakira don’t even hit 5’3”. We don’t mind watching Pitch Perfect and listening to Jolene to remind ourselves that significant artistic achievement doesn’t take a big frame.
- Help out a short girl
- If you don’t have trouble reaching the upper cabinets, lend a hand to the lady in your life who does. Also appreciated is walking more slowly unless you’re trying to make her run with those little legs.
5 Short Girl Fun Facts
- Small and Strong
- One study found that those who are under 5’2” are less likely to break a hip than those over 5’8”
- It’s not a pain to be short
- One study found that those under 5’0” have a significantly decreased chance of dealing with back pain.
- Heart Health
- Though doctors can’t quite pinpoint why those under 5’3” have a 50% less chance of developing coronary heart disease than those over 5’8”.
- Staying cool
- Short people are less likely to get heat stroke or overheat than taller people.
- Long live short girls
- Many studies have shown that those on the short side are likelier to live longer lives than their tall counterparts.
Why We Love National Short Girl Appreciation Day
- Short girls are beautiful!
- Think of all the stunning and powerful celebrities who don’t even hit the 5’3” mark! We’re thinking of Shakira, Anna Kendrick, Dolly Parton, and more… so you’re in good company.
- It is empowering
- So you aren’t the 6’0” model or volleyball player — who cares? You never hit your head on door frames, every blanket is long enough for you, and you’re always the top of the human pyramid trick. We love a day to remind us that there’s something to be appreciated about a diversity of heights and body sizes.
- There are so many perks to being petite!
- You always look younger; you always have enough legroom; you can wear any heels that you want… we could go on. Being a short woman is not getting the short end of the stick.